Tuesday, January 16, 2018

New First Presidency

So, I didn't think I'd care too much. I may have thought I was past that kind of reaction to church things anymore. But I found myself caring today, at least a bit.

Russell M. Nelson is the new president/prophet. I'm not generally a "fan" of his G.C. talks, though he has a remarkable story as far as the world of Mormon higher-ups, so he's somewhat interesting.

President (now elder again) Uchtdorf was reassigned to the quorum of the twelve, replaced in the first presidency by Elder Oaks. Uchtdorf--I'm still bad at typing that out--has been my favorite general authority of the church for some time now. His approach is usually more progressive, and he often promotes big tent mormonism--literally room for everyone. He's from Germany and has the accent to prove it. He tells great stories about being a pilot. He is kind. From my perspective, Uchtdorf speaks the language of Jesus--love. And he does it consistently. He has been the last bit of hope for me that I (a square peg) can still belong to the church (a round hole), and now he's been demoted. I'm sure that's not how even he wants me to see it, but I kind of do. And it made me a little sad.

We now wait with baited breath to hear the announcement of a new apostle. And I wonder:

*Where will he be from?
*What will be his platform?
*Will he be one who preaches the god who weeps, or a god who seeks revenge?
*Will he be from another country? Even outside of Utah? Might he be a different complexion than pasty Utah white?
*etc...

Time will tell.

Making it work is making less and less sense to me.

P.S. It can again be said that the Mormon prophet is a polygamist. (Pres. Nelson was married and sealed to his first wife, who died. And, he was sealed to his current (2nd) wife, which means polygamy in Heaven. ) This should be interesting.




No comments:

Post a Comment